Experience why mosaic art enthusiasts of all skill levels from around the country continue to return for these fabulous retreats! Since 2008, local mosaic artists Fred and Donnell Pasion of Passiflora Mosaics have led numerous retreats at Camp, combining their relaxed yet very informative teaching style with lots of hands-on learning. Whether you are a curious beginner, experienced hobbyist or accomplished professional- you will be inspired in this creative environment. The whimsical mosaic fireplace in the Crafts Lodge where you will be working, along with the rest of the colorful mosaics sprinkled throughout the property, is every artist’s haven.
You will learn:
- Basic mosaic design ideas and approaches that spark creativity.
- How to successfully use different materials in your compositions.
- All about safety and proper use of various tools to cut tile, china, glass, stone, etc.
- Overcoming the fear of using a wet saw and other essential power tools.
- Which adhesives are the best to use for indoor and outdoor mosaics.
- All about grouting, from choosing the right color to getting professional results.
- Eco-friendly mosaic-making ideas to recycle, save water and save money!
- Plus other tricks of the trade learned over 30 years of combined experience - that’s a lot of passion for smashin’!
Individual projects to choose from include any indoor or outdoor projects that are listed on Passiflora Mosaics website (Mosaic Retreat at Camp Ocean Pines) or upon instructors’ approval, you may bring your own project to work on. Depending on the project selection, a $10-$90 per project materials fee will apply, payable to the instructors, at the workshop. Also, many other mosaic-ready projects, all handmade by the artists, such as 3d concrete bugs and mushrooms and lightweight weather proof forms such as birds, spheres, hearts, etc., as well as some tools and supplies will be available for purchase.
Along with the artists’ vast selection of tessera (tile, china, glass, shells, pebbles, etc.), you are also encouraged to bring your own interesting materials to personalize your project or to share with the group.
Special garden tour- A highlight of every workshop is the Saturday morning tour of the whimsical, mosaic-filled home and garden of Cambria artist Elizabeth “Lizze” Shaw.
We guarantee you will come away full of inspiration, ready to continue your own creations at Camp!
Several weeks prior to the workshop, registered participants will receive an informative email to help prepare for an enjoyable and successful weekend!
A minimum, of 6 artists, is needed to run the workshop. The maximum is 20.
4-day Option ( Arrive Thursday 3 pm thru Sunday 3 pm)
- $415 Includes: Instruction, 3 nights lodging in dorm-style cabins and 9 meals.
- $350 Includes: Instruction, no lodging and all meals except breakfasts.
3-day Option (Arrive Friday 3 pm thru Sunday 3 pm)
- $290 Includes: Instruction, 2 nights lodging in dorm-style cabins and 6 meals.
- $235 Includes: Instruction, no lodging and all meals except breakfasts.